Saturday, March 11, 2006

ADK President's Dinner, March 11, 2006

This is the speech I wrote for the occasion of the Adirondack Mountain Club's President's Dinner on Saturday, March 11, 2006 at the Queensbury Hotel. The speech was delivered by our associate vice president, Jack Freeman. Jack and I stood shoulder to shoulder as he read my comments, prefaced by the fact that I was unable to deliver the speech because my voice was affected by myasthenia gravis, a neuromuscular disease of the voluntary muscles.

The speech:
Friends – I want to welcome you to the 6th Annual President’s Dinner. It is here that we celebrate the spirit of ADK. While it is the time we hand out plaques and certificates to members and friends who have done much for ADK, for the environment, and for the community of man, it is also a time for remembrance.

When I was a graduate student at Syracuse University, I had a professor who was then the Chief of Staff of the Senate Banking Committee. His reflection on his appointment to this powerful position included the admonition to “always remember who brung you to the dance.”

Tonight I am honored to remember those who bring me to the dance. Even more important, is to remember the values, the dedication to purpose and the selflessness they gave to the cause to build ADK into the organization you know today.

One of my personal heroes, Franklin Delano Roosevelt once made the comment: “Let us not be remembered for how we benefit those who have much, but by how we help those who have little.” In the same spirit, I want each person here to ask themselves “what can I do to help enrich the lives of my family, my community, and my environment?” This is the essence of ADK. We are in service to our families, to our communities, and our country. We are in service to the natural world and to the survival of the planet. This is no small charge, but in some small but not insignificant way, ADK does make a difference. Everyone here tonight helps to make a difference…and we are here to celebrate the gifts we were left by those who came before us. We are also here to thank those who have given exceptional service to ADK…Who most exemplify the values of ADK and show incredible commitment to improve our natural world.

Welcome to all those here tonight to share in the magic of ADK.

1 Comments:

Blogger peacebear said...

I had no idea last year's speech was so eloquent. You always have such positive things to say; you truly are a leader.

7:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home